OVIS provides safe temporary accommodation and support for women and their children fleeing family violence and abuse. We are located in the Peel region and accommodate women and children from the region and further afield.
Pat Thomas Refuge provides women time and space to make decisions about their future. Support staff are on hand to provide one-to-one emotional and practical support including advocacy and referrals to specialist services.
The refuge is much more than a safe roof over your head. Specialist staff provide our residents with the building blocks needed to begin a new life, free from violence.
Crisis services provided can include:
- Clothing, food and toiletry supplies
- Safety planning
- Accessing health, counselling and support services
- Liaison with police
- Finding childcare and schools
- Support to access Centrelink benefits for self and children
- Assisting with tenancy and housing matters
- Support to access immigration
- Accessing multicultural services
- Support with Family Violence Restraining Orders, accessing legal advice, and supporting women in court
- Practical and emotional assistance for a smooth transition into a new home
- Referrals to financial support services
- Referrals to training, education and employment.