The Domestic Violence Advocacy and Victim Support service (DVAVSS) assists clients and their children in circumstances where family and domestic violence has occurred or is likely to occur.
The service is located in Karratha but covers the West Pilbara.
DVAVSS provides information, support, referrals and assistance in a secure and confidential setting where you are safe to tell your story. The service acts as an important tool to help overcome trauma, recover and rebuild life after abuse.
DVAVSS provides assistance with:
- Providing information to clients about their rights, options, and community resources available
- Safety planning- various strategies are discussed so a client can decide for themselves what strategies to use to reduce their future risk of abuse
- Violence Restraining Order applications
- Encouragement, empathy and respect with a non-judgmental approach and culturally sensitive support
- Informal counselling can be through crisis intervention or casual conversation.
DVAVSS works closely with WA Police, Child Protection and Family Support, the Family and Domestic Violence Response Team, the Women’s Refuge, Safe House and the DV Lawyer at PCLS. By building a good relationship with other services, DVAVSS is able to provide a client-centred service and address client needs by referring them for appropriate support.
This service also offers:
Keeping Women Safe Program/Domestic Violence Outreach
Units 52-54, 15 Sharpe Ave, Karratha WA 6714
South Hedland Lotteries House
2 Leake St, South Hedland WA 6722
2 Padbury St
Roebourne WA 6718
4/46 Iron Ore Pde Newman WA 6753