The Aboriginal Legal Service of WA Limited (ALSWA) is a not-for-profit organisation which provides legal representation and support services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in Western Australia.
ALSWA provides legal support and representation for:
- Civil and human rights law
- Criminal law
- Family law
- Child protection with additional services in
- Bail support service and prison In-reach program
- Community legal education
- Custody notification service
- Work development permit service
- Your Story disability legal support and
- Youth engagement program.
Family Law and Child Protection
ALSWA assists parents or family members if child protection becomes involved – this could be when child protection are trying to remove a child or have already removed a child from a family. ALSWA can represent parents or family in the Children’s Court when child protection ask the Court to make a protection order for a child, or can assist at pre-birth meetings if child protection are thinking about how to protect the baby. Assistance may also be provided in Family Court child parenting matters, if capacity allows.
ALSWA helps family members come to an agreement that is best for the child/children without going to the Family Court (where possible) and can provide referrals to mediation services.
Alternate number: (08) 9265 6666